Bah Humbug!

Thank you everyone for your response to my Huggie Bunnies, both the new crochet version and the existing knitted ones.  I'm so glad to think of these bunnies sitting around your houses, hoarding yummy goodness.  Happy thought!

Today's offering is a bit of a sweet treat too really.  Well, my colour choices are reasonably saccharin sweet and pattern, 'Humbugs' is a good old fashioned sweet shoppe staple.

How typical of me to be just finishing off a pair of cozy mitts when the temperatures are hitting the heady spring-like heights of 20° this week.  Still, as I live in the unpredictable weather zone that is England, I dare say I'll still get use of them before the month is out.

Another of the patterns that I'd had on my miles long 'things to make one day' list, I'm so glad that I finally got around to making a pair.  The pattern is by clever Suzie Johnson of The Wool Sanctuary fame.  I made her teapot pattern too (you need to scroll down a bit for the teapot).  I love her things.



It's a lovely pattern to make even though I seemed to make a complete hash of it by not reading the perfectly clear instructions properly. I ripped back at least 5 times on the first mitt and then still noticed a mistake.  I even made the button holes in the left mitt in completely the wrong place too and I didn't notice until I came to do the thumb hole.  What a chump I am.  Being hugely lazy and not being able to face more ripping, I just fudged it to move the thumb hole round and it worked out ok.  The seam isn't where it should be now but that's the price I pay for being a lazy bones.  

Obviously my knitting skills (and apparently my pattern reading skills) must be getting rusty, I even had a moment when I couldn't for the life of me think how to cast on!

The only thing I'm not sure about is the striped, two-tone effect of the yarn I used for the little fluffy border pieces.  I would have prefered a solid colour, just the hot pink without the paler parts in an ideal world, but I had that 'almost' stuff in stash and it seemed daft not to use it.  Especially since buying a whole new (and expensive) ball for just that small amount didn't make much sense.

It was a compromise but now the buttons and the ribbons are in place I think it works ok.  
I think I got away with it.



: :

Pattern: Humbugs by Suzie Johnson

Yarn:
Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran in Gold (034)
Debbie Bliss Rialto Aran in Rose (21241)
Crystal Palace Yarns Kid Merino in Pink (9801)

Bah Humbug! Ravelry Page

: :

S x





My posts, delivered to you...

      RSS      Feedly      Bloglovin'      Email




Comments

  1. oh! gosh Sandra and don't those colours just remind you of sweets,candy and candy floss.....I love them!!! It makes me regret I don't know how to knit!

    keep well

    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Sandra. I have wanted to make a pair of these for the last year, but not so sure my measly knitting skills are up to it. I think I need some more knitting hours under my belt first! Just gorgeous though......and you're right, with this weather we are having i'm sure you'll get to use them before long! My hands are FREEZING today!


    Have a super week xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these - your colour choice is gorgeous as usual. I think they are so pretty and you must wear them loads - even if it means hot hands!! (knitted stripes are great!) Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that they look beautiful Sandra, and even though hopefully you won't have much need for them right now, they will be there all ready and lovely for when you do!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mitts are lovely - perfect color for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd say you got away with it too! These are so cute and girlie. I just love them! I've tried many times to knit to no avail. One day I'm gonna try it and it's just going to take off...I just know it. I haven't given up. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, there! I'm a frequent reader, first-time commenter. I absolutely love your work and your patterns. I also love when you describe your process - especially when it's bumpy. I've been crocheting for a number of years and want to kick myself whenever I screw things up, misread a pattern or need to rip. But hearing that an expert like you makes mistakes, too, reminds me that frogging and improvising really are a normal part of the crafting experience. Thank you for sharing the good and the "bad" on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are just beautiful! Love the ribbon and button details. S xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that you cheat a little and fudge some patterns - I do that too and just hope that no one notices! I bet no one notices at all on these adorable mitts

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous mitts! Would like to have a go at these (might take a bit of practise though!). I like the fluffy two-tone border, the buttons in varying shades of pink tie it in very nicely. Enjoy the rest of your week.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like them, even the shaded 'fuffy' bit.


    I used to have a list of mitt patterns waiting to be tackled but my very own Runrig mitt design is so easy and quick and the mitts so practical to wear that that is my go to now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those wristies are devine - The buttons are a gorgeous addition. Wish I could knit :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are just so sweet and perfect for this time of year. Thanks for sharing.

    Sheila
    http://sheilazachariae.blogspot.com/2014/03/on-my-needlesknitting-in-technicolor.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful colours and great choice of ribbon and buttons. I'm sure I'm going to have to knit a pair of these one day! Best wishes, Pj x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Soooo cute. I wish I could knit something more than a straight scarf, haha.


    xx MaDonna | MeMaDonna.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the combination of pink and green, it's very spring!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your humbugs look beautiful, I absolutely love them!! I suspect you'll definitely get to wear them, the wheather over here is pretty much the same as in England, we've been having 20° as well but it seems it will last only until the weekend ;-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete